Fall Semester (August)
Priority Application Submission: March 1st
Final Application Submission: August 15th
Recommended Acceptance for International Students: May 1st
Spring Semester (January)
Priority Application Submission: October 1st
Final Application Submission: January 1st
Recommended Acceptance for International Students: November 1st
Fall Semester (August) - July 1st
Spring Semester (January) - November 1st
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the following are required for study toward the Master of Science in Engineering and Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering:
- Applicants must demonstrate evidence of satisfactory undergraduate preparation in engineering, usually manifested by the possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution in some area of engineering.
- Applicants with baccalaureate degrees from fields other than engineering (e.g., biology, physics, chemistry, mathematics, etc.) may be considered for admission to graduate study. Typically these applicants complete mathematics, science, and engineering courses, as determined by the Associate Chair for Graduate Programs, before entering the program.
- GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Special consideration may be given to candidates with substantial engineering work experience.
- Satisfactory score on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE (150 Verbal, 159 Quantitative, and 3.4 Analytical Writing)
- TOEFL score (International Students only)
See English Language Proficiency for the minimum scores in TOEFL
UNC Charlotte uses https://mygradschool.uncc.edu/ - an online application portal. The application is completed online and supporting documents are submitted electronically.
Applications of US citizens, US Permanent Residents, Asylees and Refugees are processed as domestic applications. Applications of students on, or intending to be on, temporary visa status in the USA (i.e. F-1, H-1, H-4, etc) as well as Pending Permanent Residents are processed as international applications. Applicants should follow the application instructions accordingly.
International applicants are encouraged to review the information for international applicants carefully.
- Transcripts: Upload an unofficial transcript from each institution attended in the online application. Applicants offered admission will be required to submit one official (original, certified true) copy of their transcripts (as well as official certified translations of the transcripts/mark sheets and degree certifications if the degree was earned outside the U.S.) to the Graduate School.
- GRE Score: Official GRE scores are required of all applicants. The GRE institutional code for UNC Charlotte is 5105. Do not enter a department code. Results are considered official only when sent to the Graduate School directly from the testing agency. Satisfactory exam scores are 150 or higher on the GRE Verbal, 159 or higher on the GRE Quantitative, and 3.4 or better on the GRE Analytical Writing.
- English Language Proficiency: Official TOEFL scores are required of all students whose native language is not English and who have not earned a post-secondary degree from a US institution. A minimum score of 557 (220 computer-based, 83 Internet-based) is required for admission to the university. The TOEFL institutional code for UNC Charlotte is 5105.
Note: IELTS scores are also accepted. A 6.5 overall band score is the minimum required score.
- Letters of Recommendation: Applicants must provide three letters of reference, at least two of which must be from faculty members. All three must be from professionals working in the applicant’s field of interest.
- Statement of Purpose: Applicants should prepare a statement of purpose which reflects their experience and objective in undertaking graduate study in the chosen field.
Frequently Asked Admissions Questions
Please visit the Graduate School's Admissions FAQ.