The Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (SREU) program hosted by the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Science at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte offers undergraduate students an introduction to in-depth research in the field of mechanical engineering. Faculty mentors work with students during the eight or ten week program to complete a research project and prepare for its presentation in both an oral and poster format. Graduate students assist students with understanding laboratory procedures and providing examples of what graduate research is like. Each week, students have an opportunity to attend a seminar focused on aspects of professional development and research.
SREU projects are proposed and funded by Mechanical Engineering faculty and students work within that faculty's research lab or group for the duration of the program. Research areas within Mechanical Engineering include:
- Precision Metrology and Manufacturing | Center for Precision Metrology (CPM)
- Biomedical Engineering | Center for Biomedical Engineering and Science (CBES)
- Motorsports and Automotive Engineering | NC Motorsports and Automotive Research Center (NCMARC)
- Energy Engineering | Energy Production & Infrastructure Center (EPIC)
- Computational Mechanics and Materials
- Thermal Fluids Science
- Dynamics and Controls
Thank you for your interest. Projects for Summer 2019 are exclusively funded by faculty external research or other external support. Please discuss opportunities individually with MEES faculty. Program dates are as specified by Faculty Project Mentor.
Students are encouraged to apply to the Charlotte Research Scholar Program.
For questions or additional information please contact:
SREU Program Coordinator
The Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program will provide students with:
- an appreciation for the challenges of research
- experience working as an engineer
- an understanding of what graduate school entails
- exposure to research areas within the Mechanical Engineering discipline and the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Engineering Science at UNC Charlotte
- $4000 stipend for 8-week program participation or $5000 stipend for 10-week program participation (housing, parking, and travel costs are covered by the program participant)
- Rising junior or above with a cumulative and major GPA of at least 3.0
- Applicant must be an undergraduate student in good standing
- Students are expected to work approximately 35 hours per week at the REU site, and therefore may not enroll in summer coursework or other part-time jobs
- Students must attend research group/lab meetings as required by their project supervisor
- Students must prepare a poster presentation for their research project
2019 SREU introductory materials
2019 SREU Handbook (includes Calendar) - Coming soon!
- Research poster
- Final report (if requested by Faculty Mentor)
Professional Development Session Slides
Courtesy of Charlotte Research Scholars (CRS) Program - coming soon!
Preparing a research poster